Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easter with kids

I can't believe Easter is in just 3 days. We've been spending time this year preparing our hearts for Easter morning and focusing on the cross. Sometimes Easter is tough for parents with kids. You want to do the basket and the egg hunt and have fun, but it's easy for kids to get too caught up in those things because let's face it, they're selfish beings. It's our job as parents to work hard at keeping Jesus as the main thing at this holiday especially. This is the greatest day of all for Christians. Easter shows us not only the greatest sacrifice, but it is also the greatest demonstration of power over the evil one. The resurrection is mind-boggling to me, so I can only imagine what it does to my kids' brains as they try to wrap their minds around that great day.

So I showed my girls a 5 minute trailer from Passion of the Christ this morning as a part of our devotion time. Not sure if it was time yet, but they handled it well. They asked several questions, and it got our discussion going. I pray it sticks with them today as they go through their day and that they talk to other kids about what they saw and heard as we read the crucifixion story from Mark. I'm certainly not saying I've got it all right, but I know it takes time to develop a relationship with Christ. And I know it's my job to foster that in them. Allow them opportunities to see Him in a new light, give them the time they need for prayer and private devotion time, and live it out in my own life.

I want Easter to be the holiday my kids look forward to the most, because they know their Savior died and rose again for their sins and that He's coming back for them someday. Now that's something to celebrate!

No comments: